We understand that this page is probably the driest one we have on our website. However, it is a very important one. Please take a few moments to review our General Terms & Conditions. By signing up for and/or attending lessons, classes, courses, and any event at Kara Johnstad - School Of Voice, you agree to abide by these terms & conditions. These Terms are subject to change without notice, though all updates will be reflected on this page.
As always, please get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or concerns.
1. Applicability These General Terms and Conditions describe the contractual relationship between the Kara Johnstad, School Of Voice (hereinafter called “Music School”) and the Participant (hereinafter called “Student”) or his legal representative (parent).
2. Registration Registration is ongoing throughout the year, subject to space being available. Students declare their intention to enter into a binding contractual relationship with their registration through the School Of Voice's online registration system, an e-mail or their signature on the registration form. The contract for enrollment in the program specified in the application shall be formed only if School Of Voice confirms the student's registration in writing by mail or email.
3. Teaching Location / Office Our teaching locations are located at (1) Herbergerweg 14, D-14167 Berlin-Zehlendorf and (2) Pasewaldtstr. 16, 14169 Berlin-Zehlendorf, where you also find our office. If necessary, another teaching location can be announced in the short term.
4. Trial Period There is a trial period of three months, starting at the date of your first lesson, during which you can withdraw at any time with two weeks notice.
5. Contractual Period and Termination The minimum contract term for a fixed-term contract is 3 months. The contract will automatically renew at the end of the contractual period by another three months until the participant terminates the contract. You may cancel your contract at any time by providing written notification at least thirty days prior to the end of the contractual period. Any oral notifications addressing a teacher are not rendered effective.
6. Teaching Time The duration of a teaching unit is as long as it is defined in the teaching agreement. There are no regular classes on Berlin school holidays (including bridge days), and public holidays. Typically, based on a calendar year, the academic year consists of 36 weekly teaching units.
7. Makeup Policy for Individual Lessons The School Of Voice does not require a teacher to make up any lessons cancelled by students with the exception of a flexible one-time lesson and flexible lessons deducted from a valid 10 lesson/class pass for adults, whereby in this case the latter shall be eligible for make-ups if canceled with more than 48 hours notice prior to the scheduled lesson time in our sole discretion. No-shows and same-day cancellations are not eligible for make-ups. Payments MUST be made for all missed lessons. There is NO refund for classes missed because of a student absence.
School Of Voice does not freeze any membership plans, except in extreme cases. If a student has missed 3 weeks of class due to serious illness, please inform our office immediately and present a medical certificate.
All missed lessons due to the teacher's absence, if substitute teacher is not available, will be made up. In the case that a student declines two make-up lesson times suggested by the teacher, no prorated refund for the remaining lessons will be given.
In the event that a lesson/class must be missed it is requested that we are notified as soon as possible, preferably by cancelling your lesson/class in your online account, or by email or phone, so the teacher can plan accordingly. Please note that you are paying for date and time specific appointments, NOT a guaranteed number of lessons/classes.
8. Tuition The current tuition table (price list) shall be valid and integral part of the teaching agreement. Changes in the tuition table shall be promptly communicated to the participant. Participant is then requested to agree to the new tuition table within one month time. If the participant declines his consent, both parties shall reserve the right to cancel the contract without notice on substantial grounds.
Purchase is required to enroll in short term events like drop-in classes, workshops, courses or concerts.
Unless otherwise agreed, the agreed tuition or event fee is to be paid in advance and shall be due on the day of the event at the latest. Fees for commenced events, courses or course parts are to be paid in full. In case no written cancellation will be received at the latest 7 days before scheduled event, the full event fee will be charged.
9. Terms of Payment Tuition, and fees and other service charges are payable in full immediately upon enrollment via money transfer to Kara Johnstad’s Deutsche Bank Account: BIC/SWIFT: DEUTDEDB101, IBAN: DE82100701240012935300.
Monthly tuition payments are due on the first day of each month in advance. Tuition payments for the first month and single payments can be made online within the music school’s online registration system via Paypal. School Of Voice is entitled to charge Euro 5,00 for any reminder in case of default in payment. In the case of a returned debit, School Of Voice will charge a processing fee in the amount of EUR 9.50.
10. Consent Clause Student or his parent (legal guardian) agrees to School Of Voice collecting, processing and using his personal data, collected at the time of registration and while processing any purchases, in compliance with the federal data protection act. The data is used only for administrative and billing purposes. Data will not be passed on to third parties. The student or his parent (legal guardian) expressly agrees to receive from School Of Voice educational information and other information, also those containing advertisement or promotional content, via email, text messages (SMS) or other electronic media. You may revoke this consent at any time in whole or in part by sending School Of Voice a written request to this effect.
11. Privacy Rights / Photo Releases By attending any School Of Voice class you agree to give the Kara Johnstad School Of Voice and their legal representatives and assigns the right and permission to publish, without charge, any photographs/images of the student taken at the School Of Voice or at off-site Music School functions. You release all claims with respect to copyright ownership and publications including any claim for compensation related to use of the materials. Photos/images may be used in a current year or future year in print, electronic or video format, including but not limited to newsletters, brochures, flyers, press releases, advertising, the annual information guide, the school’s website and Facebook page, and other promotional materials. The information provided is held in confidence and photos are never sold. You may revoke this consent at any time in whole or in part by sending School Of Voice a written request to this effect.
12. Liability Limitations The liability of Kara Johnstad - School Of Voice and legal representatives and assigns towards the students and users of the services made available by Kara Johnstad - School Of Voice shall be limited to intent and gross negligence. School Of Voice is not responsible for personal property lost or damaged on our premises.
13. Legal Relations The legal relations between the School Of Voice and the participant are under private law. Customers (participants) are natural persons, who are not acting in the exercise of their commercial or independent professional occupation, as well as individuals or legal entities, or legally constituted private limited companies, with whom a business relationship has been formed, and who are acting in the exercise of their commercial or independent professional occupation. We will not acknowledge any standard terms and conditions of the customer (purchaser, participants), even in those cases where we have not expressly objected thereto.
14. Written Form Requirement, Place of Jurisdiction, Severability Clause The teaching agreement must be in writing. Amendments, changes or any other agreements made verbally also require written confirmation before becoming effective. Exclusive jurisdiction is in Berlin, Germany. Shall one of these general terms and conditions be or become invalid or shall there be a gap in the general terms and conditions which has to be filled, this shall not affect the effectiveness of any other provision. In such a case the parties undertake to commence negotiations with the aim of replacing any invalid provision with a provision which comes as close as possible to achieving what the parties from the commercial point of view intended to achieve by means of the original provision